Friday, November 29, 2013

Not what I wanted to read the day after Thanksgiving

photo

My daughter’s Thanksgiving Day pies—cherry, apple and pumpkin. She always decorates with little cut outs from the pastry.

I've had A-fib (atrial fibrillation) as long as I can remember, but wasn't diagnosed until 1996. I was on medication for awhile, then had an ablation (the cause turned out to be an extra circuit), then for a decade didn't use meds, then it began kicking in more frequently, and recently I returned to medications to control the rhythm and slow down my heart and a blood thinner in case a clot develops (the biggest risk for A-fib is a stroke). The Nov. 30 JAMA reports that losing weight is important in reducing A-fib, which would account for the increase in symptoms and the 30 lbs I've added in the last 4 years. This is not what I wanted to know the day after Thanksgiving with the frig loaded with left overs, including 3 kinds of pie.

http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=1779533

No comments: