Thursday, November 28, 2013

The president noticed immigrants and commented

OBAMA: “ As I was getting a tour of DreamWorks, I didn't ask, but just looking at faces, I could tell there were some folks who are here not because they were born here, but because they want to be here and they bring extraordinary talents to the United States. And that's part of what makes America special. And that's part of what, by the way, makes California special, because it's always been this magnet of dreamers and strivers. And people coming from every direction saying to themselves, you know, if I work hard there I can have my piece of the American Dream.”

Of course, the immigrant workers of DreamWorks are not those who are sneaking across the borders.  Our 1996 immigration law would forbid DreamWorks from hiring them. Not even a janitor or grounds person would be hired without a green card or suitable documentation.

A few years ago I was at a birthday party, standing beside a stranger with dark skin and black hair who had a slight accent.  Not wanting to be rude, I didn't pounce and say "I see you are an immigrant here to bring us special talents," but eventually I found out he was Iranian born with a successful business that hired Mexican illegals because they were such hard workers, and wouldn't report him for fear of deportation.

No comments: