Tuesday, January 14, 2020

Samuel on a shower curtain

Today I was reading from 1 Samuel 1 and decided to look up various translations.  The internet allows some surprises, and I found Reynolds’ classic painting of the child Samuel available on shower curtains, I-phone covers, and tote bags.  Kitschy. I remember this on the little Sunday School bulletins we received each Sunday when it was popular to teach children art along with Bible. 

Barren, elderly or grieving mothers is a Biblical theme--it's the story of Jacob, Rachel (who was barren) and Leah, how Moses was adopted into a royal family, how the story of John's mother Elizabeth, Mary's cousin, is told, the massacred babies at the time of Jesus' birth, and Mary at the Cross. Samuel's mother, Hannah, did a lot of begging and pleading to bring him to life--so much so Eli thought she might be drunk. And when her prayers were answered, she gave him back to God.

"I prayed for this boy, and since the LORD has granted me what I asked of Him, I now dedicate the boy to the LORD. For as long as he lives, he is dedicated to the LORD.” 1 Samuel 1:27-28.

It seems I do a lot of begging and pleading these days, but God is used to it.

No comments: