Wednesday, October 08, 2003

#11 Key lime bars

Yesterday I received a call to supply two dozen cookies for a reception after a funeral at our church. No problem, I‘d be happy to do it, I told the woman. And I promised to have them there by 10 a.m. today.

But I had a lunch date yesterday, then attended a lecture. So by the time I started the project it was about 7 p.m. As I browsed the cupboards to make sure I had all the ingredients, I noticed it: the boxed mix of key lime bars.

When we were in Florida in February, I ate a piece of key lime pie every single day. Some were good, some wonderful and some so-so. They came in a wide variety of colors from blah to yellow to pale green. By the end of the week, I was an expert. None had as good a pie crust as I make, but that is to be expected. Certain sacrifices must be made in the pursuit of research.

When we got home I must have been in key lime withdrawal and bought this mix and forgot it was between the cornmeal and popcorn. I followed the directions, at least most of them, but it has not turned out well. Even letting it “set” and then refrigerating it overnight has not made those sticky sweet things release their hold on the pan. A few minutes at room temperature in the church fellowship hall and they’ll be a mess.

So it is off to Meijer’s to buy some bakery cookies of uniform taste and size. Sorry, Jerry, I didn’t know you, but you deserved better. And what will I do with an entire pan of key lime bars?

No comments: