Thursday, October 09, 2003

#14 On a theme from Habbakuk*

I like to write poetry, and it comes and goes in spurts. Spring and Summer 2003 was a good time for poetry, but haven't written any since September 17. In my database most of them are illustrated, either with my own art or clip art. For this one, you'll have to use your imagination--a watercolor of my sister sitting in a field petting a calf. Also, I usually arrange the lines to please my eye, and I can't do that here--at least in the edit form it looks fine, but when posted and published the formatting is lost.



Though the fig tree does not bud
and the 401K does not bloom
And there are no grapes on the vine
and I store food in a basement room,

Though the olive crop fails
and the internet goes blank
And the fields produce no food
and there’s no money in the bank,

Though there are no sheep in the pen
except the ones I count to sleep
And no cattle in the stalls
and war news makes me weep,

Yet I will rejoice in the Lord
I will be joyful in God my Savior.

* Habakkuk 3:17-18

No comments: