Wednesday, October 15, 2003

#32 The best web logs (blogs)

“Who has the best blogs?” Depends on your tastes and interests. (I’d supply a link here, but some surveys have questionable advertising.) In my opinion, the really good bloggers are pros, hands down, liberal or conservative, black, white, or other, people who have always had an interest in news, information and gossip.

I like the people who take the time to check out the sources, and leave punditry to the paid print journalists and spin doctors and save us the reports about why they didn‘t get out of bed this morning. Also, I have a cuss/pejorative/swear word meter. If they write as though they need to gargle with Sno-bowl, I click past them.

Joanne Jacobs’ blog keeps me up on educational issues with good links and clever, perceptive analyses. She is a free-lance writer and former newspaper columnist. I don’t have kids in school, but know that we’re no better than our educational system.

To keep me up on happenings in the library field I subscribe to a cooperative web log developed by Blake Carver, who apparently was one of my colleagues at the Ohio State University Libraries, but I’m not sure our paths ever crossed. On the “about” page he says it was created in November 1999.

One of my favorite Christian blogs, and I appreciate the diversity of links, is Nathan Bierma at the online Books and Culture. His column is called “Content and Context.” This link is to the September 30 article--each issue is addressed separately. Ted Olsen compiles a web log on more traditional Christian topics for the on-line Christianity Today.

The Wall Street Journal Online has a “Best of the Web” written by James Taranto that is always worth looking at. Andrew Sullivan writes “The Daily Dish,” a mostly political blog. On the left side of his web page, he includes links to his regular columns in various papers.

However, your tastes may lean more toward improvisation, trendy and kooky. Then how did you get here?


No comments: