Sunday, September 04, 2005

1458 Are you prepared for an emergency?

Yesterday I went through my woefully small emergency stash which I put together in the Spring of 2003. I think I had enough food for two people for two days, one gallon of drinking water, and one for flushing. Even my battery operated radio and flashlight were someplace other than the stash. Not good.

Babs who is a doctor has some suggestions on self-sufficiency until you can get help:

"We're an unimaginably wealthy society. Katrina notwithstanding, even most of our poor have electricity, food, shelter, even televisions, radios, and CD players. But our ease is making us soft and complacent. Believe me, I'm looking in the mirror, not only out at the rest of America.

Put down the fork. Run. Hike with a heavy pack. Stock the pantry. Lift weights. Take a firearms class. If the worst happens, the police aren't coming. The National Guard's not coming. The Red Cross, ain't coming.

If the worst never happens, you'll at least be a sharp shot.

And you'll look fabulous."

Well said, Babs.

No comments: