Tuesday, November 01, 2005

1707 Norma's new blog

It's been awhile since I started a blog. Today I created a new blog called Memory Patterns. I sort of got the idea from looking at scanned sewing patterns on other sites. I decided to try to match the patterns with old photos with old memories floating through my head and see what I came up with. Should be fun. Actually, I think I sold a lot of my patterns at garage sales or traded them, or gave them away. Gosh, wish I hadn't, 'cause this could be fun.

Here's an idea. Match the sewing pattern of a dress I made for my daughter to her school photo. Then tell the story of the fabric which was also used for a king size bedspread I made and my husband's ugly tie contest at the office (I also made the tie). From there I could go into other frugal ideas I had in the 70s. What do you think?


I would have used the fabric requirements for view B size 7, the jeans top, although I made the dress, so would have used 7/8 instead of 3/4 of a yard. Suggested fabrics were lightweight cotton, muslin, seersucker, polished cotton, gingham, challis, surah, and cotton knits. The dress had a back zipper with puffed sleeves with eleastic casings and a front yoke with vent. I think I made several of these, but the bedspread print seems to be the only one that will live in our memories, and albums.

The copyright date on this pattern is 1973, which means I probably made it when my daughter was in second grade. She's probably smiling like that because some teeth are missing.

4 comments:

Susan said...

Boy, those patterns look so familier...just like the ones my mom used to make my close c.1973 when I was in the 3rd grade!!!

On the frugal side...I just made a jumper for my little one that she can wear for the next several years all out of scraps and a used pattern!

Your daughter sure was/is probably a cutie!

Susan said...

make my clothes!!!!!!

Bonita said...

I wish I had saved all the patterns from the overalls my kids wore - and the doll dresses and maternity clothing. I did a lot of sewing back then, and those patterns were so interesting.

aliceb said...

You are making me miss the 70's! My mom made me the cutest stuff. I just gave my piano recital dress (swiss dot long skirt with purple top) to my niece.
Those were the days.