Thursday, May 03, 2007

3782

Before you screw

in that new energy efficient CFL lightbulb, maybe you'd better wait until they figure out how we're going to safely dispose of them when the incandescents are no longer available. They contain mercury. You might need to call the hazmat folks if you break one, and that could up the cost just a bit. National post story.

Also, they are all made in China, where the factories are coal fired. So think about the black smoke you're belching out on their country side. I've bought a few, but for now, I think I'll stick with the old, less efficient ones until the Gang Green settles down a bit.

HT Amateur Economist

1 comment:

ChupieandJ'smama (Janeen) said...

Oh, very interesting. I keep thinking we should switch, but maybe we'll just hold off until they figure all this out. The coal factory issue is an interesting one too. I have Cadnium batteries that I don't know where to dispose of, all I need to do is add some lightbulbs on top of that. Add in our old oil and paint that no one wants and our house is toxic waste land.