Thursday, May 03, 2007

Thursday Thirteen--We're painting the master bedroom

Banner by Emily
That's a "royal we." I don't paint. I just wring my hands, give advice and worry. But this time, my husband isn't painting either, although until we moved here, he always did for 40 years. Two years ago I decided I could at least strip wallpaper to save money, and before the painters came to do my office, I nearly killed myself and had a sore back for months. Don't do that. Here's some tips learned and relearned along the way.
    1. We decided to flip the colors from the guest room painted two years ago. This idea worked really well with the dining room and living room.
    2. We discovered we didn't have a drop of the wall color left--not even a stir stick.
    3. This painter uses a different brand, and even with two of us eyeballing those little paint strips and both being artists, do you think we could find an exact match? My advice is, always keep a little paint even if you have to buy an extra quart you don't use.
    4. It takes two people (one of them preferably another man--your son-in-law) to move a queen size mattress and box springs into the hall.
    5. No matter where you decide to move things, something will be in the way. With the mattresses being in the hall, all the paintings and art work had to be moved, and most space was already taken with the paintings from the room to be painted.
    6. Faux glaze has a texture and requires sanding and a special primer to cover. That increases your cost and the dust factor, so cover everything in the closets.
    7. If your dressers were on hard wood floors in the last house, you've probably forgotten that there are levelers on the legs, and they will snag the carpet in the new place.
    8. Mirrors on dressers are much heavier than you remember (and you are much older) when you try to remove them.
    9. Always have the carpenter come before the painters. Somehow I missed that by having my husband make all the arrangements for putting a soffit in the bathroom. That is going to be oodles of touch up, plus if I remember this guy, he doesn't show up when scheduled.
    10. If possible, don't schedule a meeting at your house while you're painting. We messed up on that, too. I just may have to close some doors, since we've moved a lot of stuff to where ever we have space. I think Thursdays are bad too, because if they don't finish, and have a Monday conflict, you're stuck until the following Tuesday.
    11. Cover the cable connection/outlet with tape. We found it had been painted over in the guest room when we moved our TV this week.
    12. When we removed one of our paintings, we found the intercom system. We'd forgotten there was one. Nothing works in an intercom that is 30 years old. Don't even install one. Just shout or use your cell phone.
    13. Try to agree before all the tools have been put away what exactly is being removed from the walls. "Why didn't you take down the lamps?" "What? You want the lamps (with about 10 screws each) removed?"
So I'm down here in my office blogging like it's just another day, trying not to think of another 13 things I can add next Thursday.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately, I have years until I get a son-in-law, so I'll be doing the painting. It's not so bad now that I've found a paintbrush that holds the paint in the stick. It's actually fun. Now, if I could only get someone else to take care of the trim and corners.

Lisa said...

Nice list! We painted every room except one bathroom before we moved in. I can't imagine having to move all my stuff out so that I could paint.

Thanks for visiting me.

Anonymous said...

I went on vacation once and had a friend paint a couple of rooms for $200. I just don't want to even be there! Nice color.

Durward Discussion said...

Anyone who tackles any kind of renovation has my deepest sympathy. :-)

Anonymous said...

We just painted the Bathroom Yellow. I t turned out better than the livingroom we tried to paint Grey but in the light was Baby blue... *sigh* Gotta love it!

I have one suggestion though, find a carpenter who paints. Then they can trim and bulkhead and paint when they are done.. One guy does the whole job and sometimes it's cheaper that way.

Anonymous said...

We painted the baby's room 2 1/2 years ago a pale blue and green with bright white trim. I love the room - and we have toyed with the idea of refreshing other rooms in our home - but at this point, it's too much work.

Gattina said...

Oh no ! Thank you I only paint pictures and no walls, lol !

Darla said...

This is why, when we move back home, we'll be repainting our house before our furniture arrives.

Good to see your survived it, though. :)

DigiscrapMom said...

I've painted a room before and it's no fun if you do it alone. Have fun repainting and post pictures when it's done so we can see your masterpiece.

Happy Thursday!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Denise Patrick said...

I got many chuckles out of this post. We painted rooms before we moved into our house - it was so much easier than waiting until after we moved in (although we did re-paint some after we were settled).

JAM said...

Sorry I missed this "on the day" yesterday. We're in a similar fix. We are slowly repainting rooms and fixing up things that need fixin' in our home. The thing that I hate most is that our late 1980s built home has popcorn ceilings. It costs a bunch to have that junk scraped, prepared, and repainted.

Jane said...

My hubby and I could NEVER paint a room together.....we'd kill each other. (*grin*)
We are going to take the carpet out of the bedroom and put in hardwoods. With a dog and a cat, wall to wall carpet is just not good!!
Thanks for dropping by. Have a lovely weekend.