Sunday, May 20, 2007

3850

Women who snore

Yes, we do. Maybe not as loud as the guys, maybe we don't rock the house or scare the dog, but we snore. Especially if we are fat. Today I was reading "Menopause not always to blame for sleep problems in midlife women" in the May 2 issue of JAMA (I'm not caught up, sorry). Lynne Lamberg reports that sleep complaints from midlife women (and we all have them) may not just be menopause. They may be more subjective than objective, too, because sleep lab studies show that postmenopausal women had better sleep overall than premenopausal women! Just a guess here, but I'm betting Lynne hasn't reached the hot flash, soak-the-bedsheets, wake-up-dripping stage of life yet. Here are some of the other causes
    job stress

    care responsibilities for aging parents

    ill spouse

    bed partner's snoring (I think it's funny that you have an "ill spouse," but the person you sleep with is a "bed partner." But I digress

    obstructive sleep apnea (OSA)

    restless leg syndrome (RLS)
Women with sleep apnea (and you know who you are, dear readers) "commonly present with insomnia, depression, fatigue, and hypothyroidism, and they are more likely to have higher body mass indexes (BMIs)" than men who have the same condition. The article then proceeds to discussing the medical profession's cop-out--encourage the woman with OSA to use CPAP (continuous positive airway pressure). It only requires 6 hours of use nightly to restore sleepiness to normal levels--but it does nothing for the sex life, so many women refuse to use it.

Restless leg syndrome (feels like bugs crawling) also is aggrevated by higher BMI and by smoking. It too can cause depression, drowsy driving, impaired concentration, anxiety and all that other stuff we mid-lifers get. Again, the medical profession recommends a medication that affects the brain center.

So after reading the article, I asked my husband a simple question: "Do you think I snore as much as I used to?" He didn't hesitate to think. "No."

I wasn't enormous--I was just at the tipping edge of my range on the BMI scale, but I did lose the 20 pounds I didn't need (see my TT about food triggers). The reason I asked wasn't just this article. I had noticed I wasn't waking up as much at night and was wondering what was different. I didn't connect it with the weight loss. This is not medical advice, but if you ask your doctor about your sleep problems, I'm guessing you'll be told to lose weight. I'd at least pass on the CPAP or the meds and try 10-20 lbs to see if that helps.

No comments: