Sunday, September 02, 2007

4110

How do I look in New Orleans

We received some sort of cable upgrade (digital, music, + oodles more channels) shortly before we left for the summer, so last night I sat down with a piece of sugar-free peanut butter chocolate pie to explore and become reacquainted, since I don't watch much TV. I stopped at a familiar face while clicking through--Finola Hughes, was was doing soap operas back when my daughter was addicted to General Hospital in the 1980s. Goodness. She looks fabulous and hasn't changed a bit. But even if she had, I'd know that voice anywhere.

She hosts a show called "How do I look?" and for its 100th edition, they selected three school teachers from New Orleans whose lives had been up-ended by Katrina. Their stories were heart wrenching. All had very nice middle-class homes. Two of them had evacuated with their children, after first not paying much attention to the warnings (they were very accustomed to hurricane warnings) and the third had been preparing for a family reunion and didn't even know about it until one of her children called. At first, she wouldn't leave her home because of her pets, but was finally rescued by a neighbor with a boat after the levee broke. Later she had to leave her beloved dog behind anyway, as rescuers further down the line wouldn't take the dog. She cried. I cried, and held my kitty a little closer (the pie was history by this time).

With a Style group of consultants, Finola lavished them with three new outfits ($1200 budget I think she said), a massage, manicure, pedicure, new hair styles and make-up plus bunches of gifts. One of the teachers had lost 45 lbs. after the storm and was living in a trailer, still wearing clothes 4-5 sizes too large. She'd lost the weight because the storm had changed her thinking about what was important--living a healthy life for her children. One woman (with the dog) had formerly been accustomed to dressing really sharp and loved high fashion. She'd lost not only her home, but everything in her closet--damaging her sense of self as a large, attractive career woman. Another who had evacuated with her baby, then lived elsewhere for 4 months, was living with a relative in a cramped house with no space for her personal belongings. She was reduced to t-shirts and jeans, like the others. She was probably the most articulate voice for NOLA survivors I've seen on TV.

Each woman got an outfit for work (teaching), a transition outfit, and a dressy, on-the-town ensemble, all with the right accessories like jewelry and shoes. Truly, they looked fabulous, and the children of the school were the audience for the "reveal," and they were an adorable, appreciate group.

A fun, heart warming and hopeful message for all. Thanks, Finola and Style TV.

1 comment:

JAM said...

Lovely Wife likes to watch that show from time to time, but has been on a reading kick lately and really churning through some novels. I would have liked to have seen that show, and I know she would have too.

I met Finola Hughes in the late 1990s. My sister in law who is handicapped with cerebral palsy and in a wheel chair is a soap opera watcher. She has been since childhood.

Every year at the Disney MGM Studios down here, they have a Soap Opera Day and soap stars from all the networks come and meet with the fans. The whole park was jam packed with fans. We took my sister in law to let her meet as many as she could in one day.

We got there when the place opened and she waited patiently in all of the lines.

I must say that, WITHOUT EXCEPTION, the soap stars were patient, friendly, outgoing and helpful (there were a lot of wheel chair bound women like my sis in law there too). They would come around from their post and lean and put their arms around the fans and take photos with them.

I'm not a soap fan, but those people won my hear that day. They were ALL wonderful to the fans. I cannot truly describe how much this meant to Lydia.

Finola Hughes was one of the biggest lines, of course, but she also spent a couple of minutes with each person depending on their situation and made extra efforts with the handicapped.

She is, if anything, much more beautiful in real life, while just talking naturally and laughing with the fans.

Susan Lucci was a big hit too, she walked right past me as I was waiting at one point. She's super tiny, I'd be shocked if she weighed an even 100 pounds. She was sweet as can be too.