Monday, February 25, 2008

Kids are swearing more

Now, where do you suppose they learned it? Timothy Jay says teenagers use 80-90 swear words a day. I saw Melanie Glover's Sacramento Bee article in the Columbus Dispatch. I didn't swear as a child; still don't. My parents didn't; my friends didn't. My own kids learn to swear and cuss on the playground in grade school.

From the blogs I read by women, I'm guessing that today children are learning to cuss and swear from their mommies, if she gets off her cell phone long enough to yell at them in the back seat of the SUV. Even Christian moms seem to think that "being real" is a better witness than being modest or well-spoken.

2 comments:

Maggie said...

Hi Norma - interesting post...I've noticed this as well...words I didn't know until high school are now common among grade schoolers...sad.

And welcome to the SOBers!

Anonymous said...

I interviewed a young librarian today (well he had an MLS, he never worked in a library) he used a vulgar replacement for stuff during the interview.

He will not be getting the job. I am a librarian, but I work in corporate America. That is not something that is said in an interview.

The kid was probably about 25 or perhaps 30, but he can keep his bookstore job where they appreciate his keeping it real. I prefer keeping it civil.

The job probably paid 2 - 2.5 times what he earns now, but he certainly was not prepared for it. His resume was OK and he passed interviews with HR, but I could not have him work with co-workers or clients because he does not know how to use language appropriately.

The proper use of language is the screwdriver in the toolbox of job skills. One of the good Sisters used to say that.