Thursday, February 07, 2008

Thursday Thirteen--13 fudge phrases in American English.


English is a marvelously flexible language--has about 2 million words because it borrows from so many cultures. So why overuse some of them and dumb down our lovely language? These 13 get my vote--and my goat. If I never heard them again, I'd dance on their graves.

1. I have nothing against . . . or I don’t have a problem with. . . [be on the alert for racist, sexist, ageist or ethnic comment with the first, and nit-pickiness about a committee or task force report on the second] Another version is, Some of my best friends are. . . .

2. If it’s all the same to you . . . [You know it probably won’t be.]

3. Do you mind if I smoke. . . [We don’t hear this one much anymore--smoking near anyone is now against the law in Ohio in many places, even outdoors, but in the “bad old days” you knew he was going to light up and make your clothes stink and your lungs rot. Women didn't even bother to ask.]

4. Let’s do lunch sometime. . . [Good-bye, I’m waaaay too busy and important to talk right now.]

5. With all due respect. . . [A way to say, “I disagree,” without saying it.]

6. I’m looking to. . . [Only the less educated used this in the past, but now it is everywhere, even the WSJ and NYT. It means "I’m planning to . . ." or "I’m thinking about. . .", but seems to imply using logical thought to make a decision is suspect. Probably came along with using "I feel" instead of "I think."]

7. I think we need to ask ourselves. . . [Experts use this phrase to introduce what they want you to do--it’s a fudgy way to be bossy and authoritative.]

8. At the end of the day. . . [I actually heard a caller to a talk show say, “At the end of the day there’s light at the end of the tunnel” and “Finally, at the end of the day, the bottom line is. . . “ This is a useless phrase; if it has a meaning, it is “finally.”

9. It’s generally believed that. . . (fill in the blank) [Something is about to be said you’ve never heard of, or disagree with, like “humans control global warming“ and you (but not I) need to cut back on your carbon footprint.]

10. How ‘bout them Buckeyes or (your team’s name here). [Guys say this in place of ordinary polite greetings, such as “Good Afternoon,” or “How are you?”]

11. I’m no expert, but. . . [I’m about to pretend to be one.]

12. It’s easy, you just . . . [This won’t be easy at all--you‘d better take notes.]

13. Basically / Absolutely. Basically, these two words are the most overused words in American English. Don’t you agree? Absolutely! “Basically” is used in place of stammering (repeat the phrase 3 or 4 times to make it work) while you think of something to say, and “Absolutely” is a 4 syllable word for Yes.

15 comments:

Mia said...

ahh the old let's do lunch trick. I'm guilty of that too.

Great list. lol Happy TT!!!

suchsimplepleasures said...

i loved that list...another one of my faves is...no offense but...and, you know they are going to say something that is meant to offend but they don't want to fess up to it!!
happy tt!

Laura Paxton said...

Great list of irritatingly used junk phrases! Happy T-13!

Anonymous said...

If I never hear "At the end of the day" it will be too soon. This is one of my bosses favorite phrases.

I use "the question is" a lot.

Happy TT.

Anonymous said...

#3 is a sore point with me. people always act offended when I reply, "actually, yes I do mind!"

Melanie said...

Great list..I too am guilty of #3! Bummer!

Neen said...

LOL great list I too am familiar/guilty of hearing/using some of them.

Darla said...

Oh, a lot of these irritate me. Like 1 & 5, where the person means the opposite of what they're saying, and 6, 7, 8, 9, & 11, which alert you to the fact that the person is about to say something patronizing or arrogant.

I'm guilty of using "basically" too much--"actually," too. I try to catch myself. What you say has more impact, I think, if it's not all cluttered up with excess words.

Anonymous said...

I always thought "with all due respect" meant the speaker didn't think any respect was due.

Sandee said...

Well, I use every one of these at times. I certainly don't use the first one the way you describe it though. I usually has something to do with a product or often food. Have a great TT. :)

ellen b. said...

Ha! I'm really considering my comment carefully so I don't use any of those phrases! Happy TT to you...

Anonymous said...

"no offense meant but..." means the speaker is about to be very offensive.

"Do you mind some constructive criticism?" means the speaker is about to be extremely rude.

"I wish I could help you" means they don't give a rat's behind and will you please go away.

Lori said...

What a great list!! Thanks for stopping by and for a few giggles of reality. Happy TT.

SandyCarlson said...

I use a lot of these--especially No. 8!

Lazy Daisy said...

I enjoyed your list....it was fun, I do the let'd do lunch a lot.