Thursday, March 06, 2008

Thursday Thirteen--Our life in verse

You younger parents are learning as you go along that nature seems to have a lot more to do with your children's behavior than nurture. All the books you've read; all the programs you've tried; the special diets and home schooling; all your plans to mold and form the next generation. Then junior picks up a dolly and uses it like a toy gun, toys you've abolutely forbidden, or sissy wants frilly dresses, heels and make-up instead of the sweat pants, earth shoes and natural look you love to wear. We've all been through it, and in the long run they will grow up to be the person that popped out of the womb, formed by God, with personality, talents, physical appearance and intelligence all in place. So here's my verse of 12 things I think I know and then the 13th, for sure. There are more, but this is about doing 13 of something, right?

Nature vs. nurture
Our life in verse

On Abington we once did dwell
34 years my children will tell,
Where life’s events we did behold
Collecting memories now worth gold.

They said I was the mom most mean
that even our food was boring and lean.
I do admit I was often too strict,
but a few family values appeared to stick.

Smile, be pleasant and polite,
Don’t in public look a sight.
Be honest, the weaker one defend.
Work hard and don’t the rules you bend.

Use good grammar when you speak,
Go to an art show for a treat.
Take care of your parents and your pets
On everything else, I’ll hold my bets.


6 comments:

SandyCarlson said...

Good one, Norma! Sage advice for all the up-and-coming mean moms out there(like me)!

Unknown said...

What a great twist for TT this week, I love what you did with it.
Should you care to pop by my TT is up at The Cafe.

Anonymous said...

Its true about how the person will be the person that comes out of the womb and not being able to do anything about how that person would end up becoming.

Darla said...

What a great idea for a TT--and words of wisdom as well. :)

myrtle beached whale said...

good advice for us all.

Robin said...

I really love this, and I really needed it this week.