Sunday, January 11, 2009

Three Word Wednesday on a Sunday afternoon

Three word Wednesday offers these words for thought and composition. But it’s Sunday. Should I try? Is that cheating? Why not--I didn't see them until Sunday.
Deception
Panic
Scheme
Winter in central Ohio is a season of deception. Early on Saturday it was rain; then snow; then sleet. By the time we left for the neighbors’ for a pancake breakfast, my worry meter had started to buzz. It wasn’t registering panic yet, but there certainly was caution. “I think I'll change into my low shoes,” I said, kicking off my stacked heels that looked Oh so smart with my new velvet jeans. “What’s their driveway like?” “You won’t have a problem, I can get you right up to the front door,” my husband said matter of factly.

When we arrived, his driver's side to exit the van was too slick to even stand up, let alone walk safely to the house. So I came up with a scheme. He climbed over the center post--fortunately, I had remembered to carry my to-go coffee into the house before we left. I removed the floor mats from the van, tossed them on to the slippery ice and made us stepping stones of rubber and carpet. We arrived hale, hearty and hungry, with no broken bones, ready for pancakes, real maple syrup, fresh fruit and breakfast casserole--the recipe I need to get, because it was so yummy.

When we left about two hours later, the gray skies had warmed slightly to rain, and we waddled safely to the waiting car.

1 comment:

Thom Gabrukiewicz said...

Fun and playful, thanks for sharing. And remember, you're never late for 3WW, until the new words pop up, that is. Think of it as a writing exercise that has a built-in, six-day deadline.

I hope you'll come back, often.