Sunday, January 11, 2009

Today's new word--VICISSITUDE

The root of this word is Latin, vicis, meaning change. Vicissitude mean regular or irregular change, don't know if Obama used it during the campaign. It also means revolution or mutation, or change of fortune or condition. It wasn't that I'd never seen the word, but I couldn't think of any situation when I'd want to use it. "Is there vicissitude on the menu tonight, honey?" So I checked google "vicissitude blog," and found a blog called Vicissitude written by a Filipina, Bambee de la Paz. And I walked right into it. Apparently she had witnessed her 56 year old father and 14 year old brother being beaten on a golf course and blogged about it. Over a thousand people responded to her blog entry. It was in the papers, some links which no longer work, and others in a language I don't read. Then I found a follow-up story that said her dad and brother have now been forbidden to come on the golf course, as have the goons that beat them up. However, the public official about whom she wrote is very unhappy and is suing her for what she wrote on her blog.
    “May na-file nang kaso ng libel kahapon ang anak ko doon sa probinsya (Lano del Sur) against Bambee de la Paz (My son filed a libel case against Bambee de la Paz yesterday in our home province)," Pangandaman told GMANews.TV in a phone interview.
You've got to watch out for those golfers--they take that game very seriously!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Murray sez:
We need a vicissitude to have a government for and by the people! Where's Fidel Castro when you need him?

Norma said...

I thought you'd address the golfing issue.