Monday, October 19, 2009

It's not health care reform

This op-ed piece in the Pittsburgh Post Gazette finds the real problem, and it's not insurance:
    Health care costs too much in our country because we deliver too much health care. We deliver too much because we demand too much. And we demand it for all the wrong reasons. We're turning into a nation of anxious wimps. I still love my job; very few things are as emotionally rewarding as relieving true pain and suffering, sharing compassionate care and actually saving lives. Illness and injury will always require the best efforts our medical system can provide. But emergency departments nationwide are being overwhelmed by the non-emergent, and doctors in general are asked to treat what doesn't need treatment. In a single night I had patients come in to our emergency department, most brought by ambulance, for the following complaints: I smoked marijuana and got dizzy; I got stung by a bee and it hurts; I got drunk and have a hangover; I sat out in the sun and got sunburn; I ate Mexican food and threw up; I picked my nose and it bled, but now it stopped; I just had sex and want to know if I'm pregnant. . . . Our society has warped our perception of true risk. We are taught to fear vaccinations, mold, shark attacks, airplanes and breast implants when we really should worry about smoking, drug abuse, obesity, cars and basic hygiene. If you go by pharmaceutical advertisement budgets, our most critical health needs are to have sex and fall asleep."
HT Kat

3 comments:

Tom Degan said...

Nice site you have here, Norma....

A friendly reminder to my fellow Catholics:

When Jesus healed the sick he did not make exceptions for any "preexisting conditions". Just a thought.

I don't know what kind of health care reform will come out of this session, but I strongly suspect it won't be much. There is, however a silver lining behind this very dark cloud. I am reminded of the Civil Rights Act of 1957. Don't be embarrassed if you've never heard of it, there really isn't a hell of a lot to remember about it; a mere pittance, really - a scrap of leftovers tossed out to "American Negros" (in the parlance of the age) in order to appease them. But it made the passing of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 - the one we remember - all-the-more easier seven years later.

We'll live to fight another day.

http://www.tomdegan.blogspot.com

Tom Degan
Goshen, NY

primerica insurance said...

Wow, my words! I was just thinking of that recently, todays society is scared! All the movies and media stories tell us to be scared of every little headache and then we wonder why we spend so much on health care. It really is not right but I don't see a way how to fix it. It would mean changing the mentality of the whole nation which is pretty much impossible. Thanks for sharing the article.

Take care, Lorne

Norma said...

Tom, you are so right about Jesus; and he didn't take health from one to give to another, and he didn't heal because the Romans told him to either. His healing was a spiritual sign of who he was, a message for everyone who saw and heard. But many of those weren't healed, but believed, and more important form of permanent healing.