Saturday, October 24, 2009

Trying out the new sidewalks

This morning I took advantage of the new sidewalks and timed myself on a walk around the neighborhood which formerly would have meant wet shoes and falling into the traffic from the bad slope. Half an hour, or approximately 2 miles. The intersection wasn't quite finished, so I didn't connect to the sidewalks on the other side that would have led to the park, choosing instead to walk briefly inside Columbus (no curbs, no sidewalks, poorly paved street) and then back again into our community. In spite of the gray skies, the color in the trees is still beautiful. I don't know how many variety of maple trees there is, but they all seemed to be a different color--ochre, yellow, burgundy, gold, red, lime with a touch of rose, scarlet, purple, and some as green as an August day. With some shin stretches and good solid shoes I should be able to tolerate walking on concrete. So as I'm walking and enjoying the fall weather, I'm thinking--M W F exercise class, T Th S walking the neighborhood for half an hour. That really sounds good until the wind picks up and the temperature drops into the 20s. My mother took up cross country skiing at my age--don't think I'll do that--she was just amazing--but in her memory, I'll try to keep up. Besides, we don't get much snow here.

No comments: