Saturday, October 24, 2009

The perfect birthday card

Sometimes it's just not worth it. I look and look and look. Some cards are so not true. When my dad was alive it was virtually impossible to find a good card--sailboats and golf clubs were just not him. I always look for the right words after I find the right art. This week was my son-in-law's birthday. He's not the home made card type--and I do many of those with my own art. So the hunt was on. Finally, I found it. The art was just awful--bad colors, yucky graphics, but the text fit.
(on the front)
Son-in-law
Strong
Good-hearted
Intelligent
Real
Beyond amazing

(inside)
It means so much
to have someone like you
in our family.
Hope you know
how much you're loved
and appreciated.

The four of us went out to eat at our favorite sports bar and caught up (at least my daughter and I did--the guys probably talked sports). She's doing such an amazing job on her treadmill exercise routine--but hurt her tendon on the recent vacation trip, so we're taking over my exercycle today (which is gathering dust) so she can get aerobic but not put pressure on her foot. I don't know how many dress sizes she's dropped but at least four, and all through the discipline of regular, intense exercise. She was dangerously close to being a diabetic, and all her labs are normal now. She's such an inspiration, I'm even wearing my sweats and athletic shoes to go for a walk (on our new sidewalk) after coffee. It's takes a lot to get me to exercise, and to appear in public dressed this way.

And I apologized for the poor art work--He did like the sentiment.

We no longer have this couch, so I'm guessing ca. 2005

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your daughter wears mineral makeup, doesn't she?

Norma said...

I don't think so. She's a Merle Norman gal, like me. I think it is the bad lighting, or I didn't use a flash.

Norma said...

That reminds me: I clicked through one of those slide shows on movie stars caught without their make up. Oh. My.!!! I don't leave the bathroom in the morning without make-up, let alone appear outside with out it. But then, I use so little it only takes 30 seconds. Those ladies must really smear it on because I could hardly recognize them.

Anonymous said...

How 'bout that Pam Anderson sans makeup, huh?

Anonymous said...

Kim Kardashian was the shocker to me. The eyes.