Monday, September 10, 2012

Monday Memories—Graduation May 1955

Stan Carol May 1955

Carol and Stanley graduated from elementary and high school in 1955.  At first I was going to crop this to get a better close up, but then I realized I didn’t have many photos of the back yard of our house on Hannah Avenue where we lived from March 1951 to August 1958 when my parents moved to Lincoln Street where they lived until 1996. I was in college when they moved and felt like I didn’t have a home.

I can’t remember if the little arbor behind Carol was for roses or grapes.  I know there was a row of tall pines probably about 40 years old along the property; some had died, but you can see one on the right.  They were used for wind breaks.  You can see the back porch steps, which we didn’t use because that porch had been enclosed many years before for a half bath, and mother also had her washer and dryer there.  The concrete steps are right behind the lilac in the back left.  I visited this house, a 4-square with 4 rooms up, 4 rooms down,  about 2 years ago.  It was huge in the 1950s, but is much smaller now. Winking smile

The building on the far right is a garage/barn, and it had a second floor with 2 levels, and a shop in the back.  Mother had a garden behind the barn, and our Dalmatian “Lady” is buried there.  For awhile further beyond the pine trees I used to stake my horse, and Mother briefly raised chickens.  I think the eggs were costing about $1.00 a piece, so she gave up on that.   The house was on the edge of town, so it’s possible that at one time it had been part of a farm.  Obviously, zoning was rather casual in 1955.

No comments: