Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Chocolate mashed potato cookies

Lately I've been hungry for cookies made with mashed potatoes. I have no idea why--not sure I've ever had any. But I made them yesterday, and have pronounced them good--after eating 2. Here's what I did:

  • 1 box of Devil's Food cake mix for all the dry stuff you usually put in cookie dough.
  • 1 stick of melted butter, to which I added 2 squares of dark baking chocolate and 2 eggs. Mix thoroughly.
  • 1 1/2 cups of mashed potatoes, without any seasoning or butter, but with some milk/cream to make it fluffy.

Mix it all thoroughly, drop in balls, or teaspoons to ungreased cookie sheet, and bake 11 minutes at 350.

I rolled the balls in sugar and pressed with a fork. The last batch I flattened and then frosted when they cooled. Makes about 45 medium size, soft, not terribly sweet cookies. Potatoes probably add a lot of nutrition without many calories. Most recipes I found  for something similar used dry flake or processed instant, but I was making soup for lunch and wanted the potato water, so just make them myself.

022

023

The soup was really good, too.  I cooked some frozen mixed vegetables in the potato water with some onions and cauliflower. To make a cream sauce, I added about 2 Tbsp of flour and 2 Tbsp of sour cream together to make the white sauce with the potato water.

No comments: