Friday, February 06, 2015

I remember this book from second grade, Miss Flora, Forreston Elementary School

“Horton Hatches the Egg is a children's book written and illustrated by Theodor Geisel under the pen name Dr. Seuss and published in 1940 by Random House. The book tells the story of Horton the Elephant, who is tricked into sitting on a bird's egg while its mother, Mayzie, takes a permanent vacation to Palm Beach. Horton endures a number of hardships but persists, often stating, "I meant what I said, and I said what I meant. An elephant's faithful, one hundred per cent!" Ultimately, the egg hatches, revealing an elephant-bird, a creature with a blend of Mayzie's and Horton's features.”

I’ve never forgotten it, and think it influenced me to be an adoptive mom.

Horton hatches the egg

Although I read Dr. Seuss books to my children (they seemed to love Green Eggs and Ham, the fourth best-selling English-language children's book of all time), I don’t recall reading any others when I was a child.

No comments: