Friday, February 20, 2015

Little slivers of thought on Friday afternoon

Don’t ever do this.  I was trying to check a batch of floppies left over from the late 90s, and so many wouldn’t open, I looked through the listings to see what could be done.  It appeared that Windows recommended downloading something called Free File Finder.  So I did. Really screwed up my computer with thousands of ads, covering up all my Google searches, putting messages in the margins of my blog, etc.  Then when I tried to uninstall, it told me that wasn’t allowed. So I reset the computer to yesterday morning.  I think that fixed it.

*                                *                            *

It’s bitterly cold in Columbus—I think this morning was –7 degrees with the chill factor even lower.  But the sun is brilliant, the sky is blue.  It is supposed to warm up, and yes, then some rain and snow. Everyone consoles themselves by counting down the days to spring and the phrase, “At least it isn’t Boston.”

*                                   *                             *

I’m enjoying using Silver Sneakers membership at the Metro Fitness on Bethel Road.  I don’t do a lot, but the machines I use are slightly different than my Power Spin 210 I have in my office. I’m working up to 15 minutes on the treadmill.

*                              *                              *

Oh please!  Everything they’ve tried, all the nagging the past 25 years has made things worst. “The country's foremost nutrition advisory panel is taking a stand against meat: Americans should eat less of it, top experts say, in order to protect the environment.” WaPo, Feb. 19, 2015.  That said, it is easier to lose weight (which I’m doing) if I eat less meat.  Don’t know why, but it works for me. But tonight we’re having pizza. http://www.health.gov/dietaryguidelines/2015-scientific-report/

*                                  *                             *

And another item from Washington Post.  First it was coffee is good for you after years of not, eggs are OK after decades of not, now this--limited airborne transmission of the Ebola virus is "very likely,".  Who can you trust about health these days:

"It is very likely that at least some degree of Ebola virus transmission currently occurs via infectious aerosols generated from the gastrointestinal tract, the respiratory tract, or medical procedures, although this has been difficult to definitively demonstrate or rule out, since those exposed to infectious aerosols also are most likely to be in close proximity to, and in direct contact with, an infected case," the scientists wrote. Their peer-reviewed analysis was published in mBio, a journal of the American Society of Microbiology.  WaPo, Feb. 19, 2015

* * *

Anyone else doubt that when major corporations donate to Hillary and Bill’s foundation they don’t expect any favors if she goes to the White House and he’s First Guy?

No comments: