Friday, June 24, 2005

1175 A tune up for your memory

Yesterday I watched the Jane Pauly Show. She's that cute, other perky newslady from Indianapolis who now does a talk show. Her guest was Dr. Gary Small who has written ""The Memory Prescription: Dr. Small's 14-Day Plan to Keep Your Brain and Body Young." I'd like to tell you that I remembered his name and book, but I didn't and had to Goggle it. There are just not enough memory cells unused in my brain to take in details like that and remember them for 24 hours.

However, it was an interesting interview with video clips of real life situations involving women who were fearful that their memories were deteriorating. He offers a 3 week boot camp with attitude adjustments, memory tricks and menu planning. I was happy to learn that prunes are good--it's their antioxidants, which are about 16 times the amount in apples, bananas and oranges. So if you see old people ordering prunes in a restaurant, don't assume the worst. They may be enhancing their brain cells.

The program was so interesting I forgot it was my day to do the mail run for the church, and left the house 10 minutes late. Not to worry--there was only one piece of mail at each location because VBS is keeping everyone in the classrooms and halls instead of their offices. Then the gasoline light came on. It was $2.25 across the river, so I swung by a BP closer to home where it was $2.10 and bought $5.03, enough to get me to the campus and back to pick up a book I'd ordered. On the way there, I heard a strange noise. I looked in my side mirror and I'd forgotten to screw the cap back on so the flap was open and the cap was dangling by its safety net cord. I don't think I'd ever done that.

So much for memory enhancing programming.

No comments: