Tuesday, June 28, 2005

1192 Burn Out!

Stop by and read what Elizabeth Elliot has to say about "burn out," but then promise to come back. She's a very wise lady who raised her child in the jungles of S.A. after being widowed.

But for some reason, maybe 5 years of retirement, I can't recall much "burn out" in my life. I'd like to say it's because I followed a plan like hers, but I think it was really that I have an extremely well-developed, or over-developed ability to say, "NO." Can you join this organization that will only take one more evening a month? NO. Would you take my turn for 3 weeks in the car pool? NO, but I'll do one day. Would you add this task force to the three you're already on? NO. Could you watch my kids for me while I go (do silly things I didn't believe in). NO. Would you "loan" me money. NO, but I'll give you what I can. Would you bake a cake for the fund raiser? NO, but I could do a pie. Would you walk down to the lake? NO, I'm blogging.

Many people can't say NO because they are afraid--of being disliked, of not being needed, or missing all the fun, of losing power. None of that mattered more to me than not being at peace (instead of in pieces). So, although I'd like to say with Elizabeth, it is the yoke of Christ, it isn't. It is the personality I was born with.

4 comments:

Granny Snark said...

Many people can't say NO because they are afraid--of being disliked, of not being needed, or missing all the fun, of losing power.

Sigh. I WISH that were my problem right now ... it would be so easy for me to say a big loud NO and then be able to relax in the sun with a Margarita. Problem is, I got myself on a treadmill and it's going faster than I am. And yep, I do feel burned out (hence the lack of bloggery). Maybe one of these days my proverbial ship will come in and I can hop on and head for Bora Bora. Yippee!

Paula said...

I'm with you, Norma. I never felt the burn-out with my kids because I wasn't afraid to say no to other people, especially my mother, who used to be ultra-demanding. In fact, I probably say no too much. Oh well!

Norma said...

PJ--you're so successful with your writing jobs you've got burn out. Many would like such a problem! Your ship came in and now you've got to unload it!

Paula, my mom never said a thing, but it is surprising how we hear their voices anyway!

Ann D said...

Sometimes you have to say "no" for the sake of your family -- and your sanity!!!

Ann
http://anndouglas.blogspot.com