Tuesday, June 21, 2005

1158 I love my mom, but. . .

My husband is teaching Vacation Bible School this week. This is an enormous undertaking for our church--I think about 3,000 kids are enrolled for one week sessions over a two week period. There is even a special VBS class for developmentally disabled children. Anyway, yesterday at lunch he told me that in his fourth grade class he has 17 children from 15 schools, and one of those schools is about 70 miles away. I think that is amazing. When I went to VBS back in Forreston, IL, we had town kids and country kids--two, possibly three schools and probably 4 or 5 churches.

The theme is something about Africa, and one of the questions was "if you were lost in the jungle on safari, what one person would you want to have with you?" Most of the kids said their dad, a few said their mother, but one little girl said, "Well, I really love my mom, but she's always getting lost, so I'll say my dad."

Of course, I would have asked why we were lost if the dads were so great at asking directions.

3 comments:

Susan said...

Too cute. Speaking of VBS, I must pray hard and make a decision whether or not to help with the music. We're doing "Jerusalem Marketplace". Last year was Hawaiian and I was part of the "Tiki, Tiki Trio". It was fun!

Glen said...

3,000 kids. Man that is a big church. I remember VBS and all of the red kool-aid and sugar cookies. You guys are certainly doing a good service to these young people. I never realized it until I had gotten older.

Norma said...

Yes, and they aren't all ours. We draw from the whole community. I think I learned more in VBS going 5 days a week than I did during the year in Sunday School. But when you are the teacher--that's when you really learn.