Sunday, March 04, 2007

3559

Robins who winter here

When I was a girl growing up in Illinois, we always watched for the first robins as a sign of spring. Because I see so many robins in central Ohio all year, I thought it was just our more mild climate. When we had that terrible cold snap a few weeks back I was surprised to see so many dead robins in the street. They didn't seem to be able to get out of the way of the cars, and the streets were snow packed so I wasn't sure why they were in the road. Then in today's Columbus Dispatch I noticed an article about robins staying around because of the spread of the honeysuckle bush. Its red berries provide winter food for them when there are no worms or bugs. The plants are foreign to our area (you might call them illegal immigrants who have gotten out of hand) and have killed off some native species. When I checked Google, I see that robins are also wintering in the western suburbs of Chicago, but those may have come south from Wisconsin.

Whatever is keeping them here in the winter--dried fruit and berries from ornamental trees or invasive species--our terrible cold snap must have been too much for them. It either covered up or iced over their food supply or disoriented them enough that they weren't able to fly.

No comments: