Thursday, March 01, 2007

A very good buy!

Yesterday I was at the Discovery Shop (American Cancer Society) and noticed a basket of flatware. I couldn't tell exactly what or how many, but for $35 it looked pretty good. So I went home and checked the internet. Then I went back and bought the set to replace my 1960s-1970s stainless purchased with Betty Crocker coupons from cereal boxes and processed foods (something I would never do today). On e-Bay the individual pieces (couldn't find a set) were going for $10-$20, and I think I got 57 pieces, including a cake server, slotted spoon, butter knife, 3 serving spoons, gravy ladle, sugar spoon, etc. There were 16 teaspoons, plus 8 of everything else, soup spoons, salad forks, etc. The pattern is Reed & Barton, 1776, hammered finish and it was an active pattern between 1976-1979, now discontinued. The pieces are heavy and have a much nicer feel than stainless, and are probably worth more than my "good" silver plate, but that pattern will have pride of place since it was a wedding gift.

Serving spoon, $17.50 on e-Bay; I got 3

No comments: