Thursday, March 08, 2007

Poetry Thursday #10


This week’s (completely and totally optional) idea is simply: Red.

I was really stumped. It's not a favorite color. The word makes me think Communist, blood, anger, flag and . . . walls. The walls of our condo when we bought it. High-end, very expensive, Architectural Digest walls. Orange dining room, brown living room and red family room--each with multiple faux glazes, each with matching ceilings. So here's some silliness; just some fun about seeing red.



Decorator Red
by Norma Bruce
March 5, 2007

"Do the walls have to be so red?"
she said.

Decorators, a team,
had a bad color scheme
a bit off the beam,
'twas sometime before
we opened the door.

They’d toned it down with faux,
a touch of gold, just so.
"Why didn’t they know
it reflected pink
in the bathroom sink?"

"The floral drapes are mauve and peach,"
she’d screech.

"Carpet is green and thick,
hearth is a reddish brick.
I just might get sick--
clashes so with red
now hurting my head."

"These walls drive me wacky,"
he mumbled, "By cracky,
Let's paint them khaki."
"Good-bye to the red,"
she agreed and said.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

That picture hurts my eyes! I can't image having to live with that color scheme. Good thing you painted it over. :)

Rose

xo

Anonymous said...

*lol* nice one. can't blame you for painting it over. it is rather...bright.

Clockworkchris said...

I'm with Rose and Raven, I like Khaki and red is just not a color for a wall, esp if the carpet is green. YUCK! This poem had a great rhyme and made me laugh, which is hard first thing in the morning.

Crafty Green Poet said...

I would have painted over it too. Fun poem.

Mine's up too, despite not getting listed on Poetry Thursday.

Anonymous said...

I think what really sets this poem off, is the way we all have seen dwellings like this. What were they thinking?????

I laughed at breakfast, thank you. :)

Kay Cooke said...

Thanks for taking the trouble to email me about my link at Poetry Thursday not working - I have fixed it now. And loved your poem!

Anonymous said...

Bravo on the poem! And on choosing Khaki. What a lovely hue.

gautami tripathy said...

Ouch! Glad you painted it over! It is still hurting my eyes.

I like the narrative way of the poem.

strauss said...

That really made me smile. Loved that so much. It was so fun fun fun. Boy it remins me of our ugly duckling of a house when we bought it. Teal grean everything, but one bright purple bathroom wall and ceiling and mirrors EVERYWHERE, it was like a amusement park exhibit. Hideous, scary scary scary! LOL

Sideon said...

Delightful!

Anonymous said...

Ew, what a horrible colour scheme. "Didn't they know it reflected pink in the bathroom sink?" Hee hee. I often get the impression that interior designers don't ever really think about having to *live* with the things they come up with; after all, they can just leave when they're done!

Tammy Brierly said...

LOL This was too funny!. I just bought a house where all the walls and floors were blue. LOL

Well done!

Regina said...

Nothing but good ole' eggshell for me and my walls! Wonderful poem, Norma!

Anonymous said...

Norma - right on. Love this incredulous witty poem. Reminds me of Ogden Nash! Nicely done!

Natalie said...

Really funny, love the rhythm and its 'talking' style. Great!

Joyce Ellen Davis said...

Funny--I liked its casual, conversational style, too.

rel said...

Norma,
Cute poem. i like bright colors because I'm color blind but that color scheme would have slapped me in the face too hard. ;-)
rel

Unknown said...

So many colors, so many choices.
Great poem!
First time at your blog-I will be checking back in.

madd said...

loved it..decorators get me crazy..they have no sense of anything in my book..and if you don't like the atrocities they rave about they make you feel like a backwards country bunmkin when in reality they always remind me of the story about the emperors new cloths...good poem..and thanks for the visit..:)..m