Tuesday, March 06, 2007

3564

Running the Numbers

My New Year's Resolution was to read the Bible through, something I've never done. I'm using the One Year Bible, NIV edition, where you get some OT, NT, Psalms and Proverbs all in one sitting. Genesis is pretty interesting--lots of good stories. Leviticus--well, you can see some general principles about being separate from the culture and not hanging out with the bad guys. But Numbers. Oh My! That's why I'm glad to have Pastor Brad. When he talks about the Book of Numbers he throws in some biscuits and gravy.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I still can't finish Numbers. That thing is like a gas leak. I'm asleep before its over.

Anonymous said...

are you saying that Numbers can be interesting? Because if you are, then I think you are lying. And I urge you to read Leviticus again.

Anonymous said...

I'm with Em. Leviticus is wicked fun. For a commie, homo-loving pinko like me, Leviticus is a window in Bibical morality and invaluable when discussing laws regarding gays and gay marriage.

Livelier style and subject matter, too. Numbers is like listening to someone with an overact thyrioid talk about their family genealogy after you've had 2 Valium.

And God, don't get me started on the Lesser Prophets. Like watching ecclesiastical paint dry.

Jenna said...

I was glad to leave Leviticus; I found it mind-numbingly repetitively redundant. Numbers is only slightly better. (I'm trying to read the Bible through in a year, too. I can't remember the name of the book that has the plan I'm using, but like your plan, it has get some OT, some NT, and either Psalms or Proverbs in each sitting.)