Thursday, March 15, 2007

Thursday Thirteen


It's been awhile--let's see if I can remember how to do this. Here's some random thoughts for a Thursday.

1. Congratulations and good luck for the TT new hostesses who are making it truly a family affair.
2. I've been doing Poetry Thursday for the last 11 weeks, instead of TT. Here's the one for today. An elegy for a baby but dedicated to anyone who has lost a child.
3. Doing both PT and TT wouldn't be a problem for me since I write so much, but it is the visiting and leaving comments that takes the time, so I had to choose.
4. Today I'm having lunch with a young woman who has asked me to speak to her Bible study group next week--I think their theme is older women mentoring younger women in the church, so each hostess invites a guest to speak.
5. I think I'm older than her mother, so that makes me a wise old woman of the church!
6. If you read my blog in the fall when we got back from my sister-in-law's wedding in California, you may remember I'd decided to lose my blogging weight--20 pounds.
7. Yes, indeedy, that's what I gained when we got broadband and I started blogging regularly in 2003. It sort of snuck up on me, here a pound, there a blog, but it all added up til I was 150 lbs, the heaviest in my adult life.
8. So I wrote a Thursday Thirteen about my plan to avoid 13 food triggers.
9. It was slow going, and the holidays were rough, but I hit 130 lbs. on February 1. A lot of weeks I lost nothing at all, and nothing has budged in the last 6 weeks, but the tape measure does change.
10. I've learned, and I'll warn you--130 lbs. is arranged very differently at 67 than 35. My waist is much bigger, but that's an advantage because nothing ever fit before. Now I can wear a size 8 slacks and not have a 2" gap at the waist.
11. I've had a blast buying some new clothes that don't come from K-Mart. I discovered the Discovery Shop just up the road a mile, which is all donated, good quality clothing to benefit the Cancer Society.
12. Last week I bought a fabulous Pendleton pants suit (already shortened to fit my stubby legs) for $20. It will be incentive to keep the weight off for next year, since it is a gorgeous, all lined, 100% wool, made in the USA. I look for quality brands with dry cleaner tags still attached.
13. And finally, if you're doing much traveling, either because of work assignments or spring break, please read my blogs about DVT.

Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! Leave a comment and I'll add your name and URL.

6 comments:

Raggedy said...

Beautiful poem.
I enjoyed reading your TT. I hope you can do more of them.
Terrific Thursday Thirteen!
My TT is posted.
Have a wonderful day!
Happy TT'ing!
*^_^
(=':'=)
(")_ (")Š
Raggedy

Erin Faye said...

Congrats on the weight loss. I am 10 pounds from my goal weight!
Thanks for stopping by!

JAM said...

Wow, where to begin? I loved your poem. I wish I had a nickel for every time I sat and wondered what other folk's lives were like after visiting a cemetery. I don't think I ever told my parents how I felt. Not bad, mind you, but the thoughts about all those folks, buried in remote places, graves rarely, if ever, visited, just kicked my imagination into overdrive. Maybe that's why of us four kids, I'm the one who writes and is trying to archive information on different members of the family.

Congrats on your 20lbs, and yes, gravity is a relentless force.

Hope it goes well with your speaking to the Bible study group.

Denise Patrick said...

Lovely poem. I love wandering through old cemeteries and wondering about the stones I see - especially the baby ones. When you have an active imagination and a love of history, the speculation is limitless.
My TT is up, too!

Dane Bramage said...

Great poem Norma. Congrats on the weight lost. My exercise regime doesn't seem to be working. Maybe I should increase the number of sets of diddley squats I do. I heard that the secret is in the reps.

I have listed 13 Quotes About Men on my T13. (Last week was quotes about women.) Stop by if you get the chance.

Loretta @ Stitching the Night Away said...

great poem!