Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Dinner at the White House--a Parable

is zipping around the internet, and if you're on anyone's list, you either have or will receive it. I got a copy from Murray, and looked it up. It was written by Richard Gleaves on June 26 at Rebirth of Reason, and by now has probably been read by millions. I glanced through several versions, and some resenders are modifying it slightly, so it's best to go to the source.
    "Once upon a time, I was invited to the White House for a private dinner with the President. I am a respected businessman, with a factory that produces memory chips for computers and portable electronics. There was some talk that my industry was being scrutinized by the administration, but I paid it no mind. I live in a free country. There's nothing that the government can do to me if I've broken no laws. My wealth was earned honestly, and an invitation to dinner with an American President is an honor." Read the rest
I also looked through some of the comments on sites where it has been reposted; Obama supporters hate it of course, his detractors say it doesn't go far enough. One even said it doesn't fit the definition of a parable because it is true--it is happening.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That article more closely resembles propaganda than a parable.

Norma said...

Yes, I suppose it could be called propaganda if you are in favor of government taking over private businesses. Parables are told to illustrate a religious or moral issue, and this one reflects the views of close to half of the adult voters in America. The special twist, which you might have missed, was that the speaker should have spoken up at the first take over, so he bears some of the blame.

XCowboy2 said...

Thanks for posting Norma- I had no idea my story was zipping around the web until I found your posting these months later- wild!

RichardGleaves@aol.com