Thursday, July 30, 2009

Lakeside Cottage architecture, pt. 4

Side gable houses with shed dormer to the street, pt. 3

I'll wrap up this topic about shed dormers on cottages at Lakeside with a few more photographs. This by no means finishes the topic, but here's a few that have had several second and third chances or do-overs in their 70-80 year life near Lake Erie.

This house on 2nd street faces Central Park and when built probably had a fabulous view of the lake. Now with all the mature trees, you would only see it in the off seasons. It has so many additions, roof styles, and replaced windows I'd probably need a photo to figure out how it began. I noticed at least one old window that hints it may have even been a traditional 19th cottage in it's embryonic stage.

Update: I checked with a man who had remodeled this cottage about 15 years ago, and he estimates it was built around 1880 and has had multiple updates. So the shed dormers were probably an early 20th century update to make it look "modern."

I think this one is for sale. I've attended a yard sale here--looks like it is in good condition with the usual 3/4 century updates and add ons. I think there is a garage on the other side and a decent yard, unusual for this little town of summer residents.

I like this photo because it shows 3 distinct cottage styles all in a row. On the left a cross gable with a wrap around porch, which is highly valued now, but many were so remodeled in the 40s and 50s they are hardly recognizable. The front windows appear to be remodeling ideas of about 50 years ago--remember when people were putting "picture" windows everywhere? The shed gable style in the middle would be more attractive with the porch restored, but like many Lakeside houses, most additions and remodelings are just folded into the next era or skills of the local homebuilders. Also, the Lake Erie storms can be brutal. On the right is one of the many hip roof, double porch styles which I wish had a shorter name, because they are ubiquitous here. This one has had the top sleeping porch filled in with small windows. These cottages face the lake--one of the best views in town.

Someone or ones loved this one to death. The worst of the 50s updates--aluminum siding and jalousie porch windows--the gal wearing her cheerleading outfit to the nursing home. And bushes out of control to cover the sins of the past.

I think this cottage could be a show piece. My husband and I disagree on what is original--I've looked very closely at the roof line of the side portico, and I think it fits, although it is sagging badly and looks like the front screen door might not open. If it mattered, I'd go to the archives and check. There might even be an old photo. He's the one paid to redo these cottages, not me. Those concrete molded blocks haven't been used in many years. There's a tiny little "house" added to the back with some creative trim and woodworking--probably not original, but someone tried to make it work. With the thick, stubby columns, and windows in three, it definitely wants to be a real arts and crafts bungalow, even if someone's messed it up a bit over the years.

But I have been to the archives and checked on my next topic, which will be the "Ross Hips" at the east end of Lakeside.

Lakeside cottage architecture, part 1

Lakeside cottage architecture, part 2

Lakeside cottage architecture, part 3

5 comments:

Deb said...

I have enjoyed these photos so much. Lovely cottages.

Jeremy said...

Thanks for the pics of the shed dormers; I'll use them to help guide my remodel. Too bad you have fanatical political views that you share along with them, perhaps you could setup another website and separate the two? I feel like I'm getting a brownie recipe from the Taliban.

Norma said...

You're cute; I just love nonjudgemental liberals stopping by. I don't think anyone has ever noticed any Taliban in my writing, but perhaps you see something in a woman speaking her mind that made you think the opposite?

If you're remodeling in Lakeside, be sure to check all the rules on coverage and appropriate changes. They help the look, but home owners aren't free to do just anything. I have found a few "authentic" garages, and maybe 2 cottages that are old and not extensively remodeled. Some good, some OK, some just awful. But 100 years of remodeling and changing ownership and taste will do that.

If you are remodeling in another lake community, many have their own codes and preservation guidelines.

Susan Lower said...

The red cottage is my favorite out of the three. Maybe because it's red, or I'm just the arts and crafts type. Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

Nice Information! I personally really appreciate your article. This is a great website. I will make sure that I stop back again!.
whitefish lake montana real estate