Wednesday, June 16, 2010

24 hour food recall

I see the USDA is coming out with a "new" food pyramid. Who knew you should eat more vegetables, less meat, and cut out the salt? My grandmother Mary was a health food nut. If there was meat on the table, it was chicken, and most of their food came from the garden. But that was the 1920s, what did they know?

New food guidelines to recommend more veggies - wtop.com

Quickly, can you recall what you ate yesterday? That's how a lot of food studies are done. Here's what I had. Breakfast: Apple, large, sliced with skin on; 1/2 cup walnuts; one large carrot. And I salted it because I like salt.

Lunch was 5 chopped vegetables, grilled in olive oil: celery, mushrooms, onions, corn, and peas, sprinkled with a very tasty new product called "Perfect Pinch," Parmesan Herb. You don't need very much, and it really jazzes up the veggies. Mushrooms and celery are pretty worthless when it comes to nutritional value, so they are there basically for filler. Then I had about 1/2 cup sliced strawberries on a sugar free Klondike Bar (ice cream).

Supper was 6 little beef meatballs cooked with rice, a little gravy, mushrooms and onions (I was trying to use up the mushrooms) with a side of broccoli sprinkled with shredded cheddar. For dessert I had Graeter's Ice Cream, about 1/2 cup, Black raspberry chocolate chip. I'm not even particularly crazy about ice cream, but for some reason, if it's in the frig I'll eat it.

So that totals up to six vegetables and two fruits (although mixed I supposed that's more like three servings of vegetables), two dairy, one meat, one grain.

Then there are the extras: cup of coffee with Half n Half; 4 Ritz crackers with crunchy natural peanut butter; multi-vitamin (which the gov't says we don't need); vitamin D tablet (doctor says I need that--Ohio you know); 4 oz. Merlot.

Before you eat your vegetables, you can paint them.

No comments: