Thursday, June 24, 2010

The Tweaksters at Lakeside

Last night we invited Wes and Sue over for rhubarb pie (purchased at the Lakeside Farmers' Market on Tuesday) and then we all walked down the street to Hoover Auditorium and enjoyed The Tweaksters. I figured it was a kids' show ("family entertainment") and it was, but thoroughly enjoyable for adults too for the athleticism of gymnastics and ballet and a media show. I stayed awake (not always a recommendation since I sometimes can doze off during a very great performance) and we were home before 10. I think one of the performers may have just walked past our cottage. Incredible bodies!

Also yesterday I attended a seminar on Willa Cather--a PBS DVD from its American Masters series. Because I studied Russian and Spanish in college, I wasn't required to study American and British literature--and it was a great loss for me. Cather died in 1947, so we didn't even notice her works in high school where American literature was a required subject. Anyway, now I'm interested and may take a peek.

Today's 10:30 seminar is on Frank Baum, the author of the Oz books. One of my fondest memories of third grade is Miss DeWall (Forreston) reading to the class after recess, "The Wizard of Oz." Later I saw the reissue of the movie, but never liked it as much as her version. Gretchen Curtiss, who manages our seminars, is going to be the presenter. Then this afternoon at 1:30 there is a seminar on Thoreau and Emerson, two of my mother's favorites. I'll probably go to that--taught by Larry Smith. He'll have a busy day, because he's also doing a lecture on the publishing process at 3:30. His novel, The Long River Home, came out in 2009.

1 comment:

Lynne said...

Henry David and Emerson my favorites too..always thought your had a mother with great taste.Lynne