Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Teach your children well

At a party last night I met a 23 year old college graduate, employed, about to move in a house owned by a family member. Her big concern? She doesn't know how to clean. Either her former roommates, parents, or a cleaning service did it. I turned to her father and asked how could this happen. And he just shrugged. It's not that hard if you start them young. Pick up toys. Hang up clothes. Wipe up spills. Wash and dry dishes. Put them away. Dust. Vacuum. It's a life skill. I told her she was welcome to come here and follow me around--I'm certainly no fastidious housekeeper, but I could show her a few things. Another neighbor offered to give her some rags. "What do you do with them," she asked. Then she said she also didn't know how to garden--so I was a bit more sympathetic. I don't either. "You mean like tomatoes and beans?" I asked. "No, weeds and grass." I suggested she hire a neighborhood kid to mow the lawn.

She definitely needs Flylady.

No comments: