Saturday, April 18, 2015

The Three Hierarchs

When I ride my exercycle in the morning, I don’t find much on TV, but since my computer is directly behind me, I type a topic in Google and do a YouTube search.  I usually don’t have to see the person, but I can through the reflections of the painting on the wall.  I really like the writings of John McGuckin, (whom I found in The story of Christian spirituality) so I Googled him.  I found many men and interesting topics by that name, but I was looking for the theologian. I settled on a good lecture on the Three Hierarchs, Basil the Great (also known as Basil of Caesarea), Gregory the Theologian (also known as Gregory of Nazianzus) and John Chrysostom. I like to dabble in topics about which I know nothing.   McGuckin has written on Gregory, so that was his part of this three topic lecture. Lots of humor.  I guess Gregory was a funny guy.

https://youtu.be/xWhpQpbV1o8

These three are called “doctors of the church” by the western church and Hierarchs by the eastern church.

This particular lecture focuses on the Greek language and culture, the Roman social and legal system, and the Jewish moral teachings as the Christian basis for the role of the early, ancient church in social justice. The idea that God is in suffering changed civilization.

No comments: