Monday, February 29, 2016

White or not, I don't care about the Oscars

Chris Rock and the all white Oscars--another 10 minutes of fame. He made a ton of money off that one, didn't he? I didn't watch, not because of the controversy, but other than enjoying the fashion, for me it's just about narcissistic rich people gathering to pat themselves on the back. And the diversity controversy? That's getting really old, and doesn't have much tread left. It is the ticket buyers, mostly white, who make the industry rich. I don't think they are particularly sophisticated consumers or deep thinkers, but if they hear themselves denigrated and criticized at all turns especially by the ‪#‎blacklivesmatter‬ crowds, perhaps they aren't buying the tickets and will stay home to watch an old Stallone movie or even Bing Crosby.

1 comment:

Paula said...

I don't care about ANY award shows, contests, medals, Olympics, etc. I suspect much of it is in some way fixed beforehand, such as it being so and so's "turn" to get an award, irrespective of his performance under consideration, and this reduces my interest even further. Plus, I don't base my decisions on what to read or watch on how many gold stars or whatever the work has received from industry insiders. Feh!