Tuesday, January 08, 2019

The Patron saint of librarians

St. Jerome is the patron saint of librarians and archivists.

"Although St. Jerome has been referred to as the second most voluminous writer (after St. Augustine) in ancient Latin Christianity, reasons for recognition of him as the patron saint of librarians and libraries as well as archivists, translators and encyclopedists emanated from traditional lore. A review of his life and work suggests several reasons for this title. St. Jerome’s personal library was considered to be the most important private collection of the period. He was a great bibliophile, interested in collecting both pagan and Christian books. His learning was considered unequaled during the time he lived since he was an insatiable reader and had a phenomenal memory for what he learned. Finally, his scholarship broke new ground with his translations of the Bible and Biblical commentaries."

I found this at a blog for Luther College. It was written for the 40th anniversary of their library, but that was 2009, so that library will be 50 years old this year. I was there to attend a Homecoming event in 1956, so I must have been in the old library, because I'm sure I brought my homework along. My boyfriend had to drive from Decorah to Prairie du Chen (about 43 miles) in a borrowed car to pick me up at the train which I’d ridden from Oregon, IL. https://memorypatterns.blogspot.com/2005/11/visiting-luther-college-in-iowa.html

St. Jerome: Patron Saint of Librarians | Library | Luther College

When we were in the Holy Land we saw the cave where Jerome worked translating from Hebrew and Greek into Latin--for 30 years!

No comments: