Saturday, January 26, 2019

When an apology isn’t

I don't know how it's done in confession, but I'd not consider Bishop Foys PR move an apology considering his position and the children he insulted.

“We apologize to anyone who has been offended in any way by either of our statements, which were made with goodwill based on the information we had,” said Bishop Foys in the letter, which was addressed to the parents of Covington Catholic students.
“We should not have allowed ourselves to be bullied and pressured into making a statement prematurely, and we take full responsibility for it.” Bishop Roger Foys, Covington, KY

How about something along the lines. . .

"I'm deeply sorry and sincerely apologize to all the students and their parents for the terrible mistake I personally made in misjudging your character and behavior. Rather than waiting and looking at the facts, as adults always tell children to do, I believed rumors and innuendo instead of my own children. I have been guilty of looking out for my own reputation, afraid of being called a racist or a Trump supporter, rather than supporting and loving my own parishioners. Please forgive me."

None of this "we" business, or "to anyone who has been offended" nonsense. That's politicianspeak, and no one trusts it.

http://www.ncregister.com/daily-news/covington-bishop-apologizes-to-covington-catholic-students

No comments: