Thursday, January 06, 2005

699 Speaking of magazines

I don’t have a first issue of Redbook magazine to write about in my http://premiereissue.blogspot.com/ site, but I did read that it has reinvented itself as a couples magazine. It started years ago as a married woman’s magazine (with good fiction as I recall), then sort of lost its way in the 60s and 70s, and is now returning to its roots. Magazines are all about advertising, and apparently there is money in coupledom now.

According to Folio, a “redesign unveiled in February [2004] includes new sections such as Redbook Married Life and Redbook Busy Life.” A feature on marriage is promised each month, in addition to a story about marriage and sexuality. A few months back, the magazine added “My Life as a (New) Wife,” and “Love Lab,” where writers test popular romance advice to see what actually works. I’ve just checked the website, and if marriage were only about sex, this would be your magazine.

Another new magazine Conceive, the first-ever fertility magazine, was scheduled for May 2004, (although I never saw it) for the waiting rooms of OB/GYNs and a launch in September. It focuses on creating a family by whatever means it takes, including adoption. You won’t believe the web page--when you click on the egg (to enter the site) a little sperm dives in!

If magazines are truly all about advertising and they show trends, I wonder if this renewed interest in marriage and family might be an area for churches to consider--a route to evangelize. Our church has about 10 Sunday services, but I can’t recall a sermon on marriage. I suppose it might offend the divorced, widowed, or single people. But if there is a minivan in a woman’s future, she might be thinking of eternal security too. Having children is what got me thinking about God’s miracles.

Incidentally, if you’ve found this blog entry because you googled the words “sex” and/or “sperm,” just move on. Sorry to disappoint you, but this site’s not for you.

No comments: