Sunday, January 30, 2005

778 Canada geese, go home

Blog Driver's Waltz is one of the best looking blogs among my links--well designed and tasteful. And I'm betting it is really interesting too, if only I understood what he's talking about, but most of the time I don't. Today I noticed a tiny book cover over to the right for "Souvenir of Canada 2." Viewed through my trifocals, the book cover looked like a photo of a Canada Goose dropping its load, but upon enlargement, it is actually two fused geese moving in opposite directions, just like some things Canadian. I peeked inside (Amazon lets you do that) and it looks like a really interesting book. This is Douglas Coupland's second book about why Canada is really cool.

It's not about scooping poop, which we have to do around here, every place there is a small pond--like the little park next to our church. I don't know how often the staff has to flush the sidewalks or clean the treads on the shoes of the pre-schoolers, but I'm guessing it is often. As I drove home yesterday, I'd say conservatively, 1,000 geese were nibbling, skating on the frozen pond, chatting up their buddies and wandering into traffic. I sometimes see joggers and walkers in that area, but they'd need to be constantly looking down. I have a sneaky feeling these geese have never even visited Windsor.

This website is devoted to calming fears about tons of poop in our parks.

This one says we don't have enough data.

When I was a veterinary librarian at Ohio State, I did get questions about fecal count in bird feces and avian diseases. One time I got a phone call from a chef in New York City who wanted to bake blackbirds in a pie for a contest. This is not a joke. Librarians hear the strangest things.

No comments: