Monday, January 10, 2005

710 What she loves about the South--especially Texas

Ambra collects a few of the things she likes about the South at her Nykola blog.

"Still I say, the South is the only place in all of America where a white person and a black person can sit down together at the same table and eat a bowl of grits. . . Sometimes I wish the South could come up North and teach classes. On the top of the docket of topics would be “How to open a door for a woman, How to say 'Ma'am' and 'Sir', How to say thank you, How to fry food, How to barbebque, How to worship God.”

In defense of the South, a region about which people generally have very few nice things to say, I’m going to re-run my list of things I love about Texas:

Chivalry

Everything’s big

Chapels in the airports

The presence of the following fast food chains: Chik-fil-A, Whataburger, Popeye’s, Sonic

White people who know how to barbeque and eat grits

Nice, friendly, and outgoing people

Christian bookstores within a 5 mile radius

Four bedroom, 3 bathroom, 2500 square ft. homes for sale at the sickeningly low price of $175,000 (you couldn’t even buy a 350 sq ft condo in Seattle for that price)

State pride.

Primetime television starts at 7:00 pm

Biscuits with everything."

Every state is different. When we moved to Columbus, Ohio from central Illinois the people and the weather seemed the same. However, during my first visit to downtown Columbus I noticed everyone smiled and said "Hello." I hadn't experienced that in Illinois, not even in much smaller towns. I'm not sure it's still that way, but it should be.

No comments: