Wednesday, June 01, 2005

1088 Freedom to enjoy nature

Do you think today's children have the same freedom to play outdoors (riding bikes, hiking, playing in creeks, digging in dirt, etc.) that you had?

I suppose the answer would depend on your age and where you grew up. I grew up in two small, rural towns in northern Illinois where I was free to ride my bike anywhere, even to the next village, crawl through fences to pet the horses and cattle, poke at wasp nests, capture tadpoles in streams, wander over to neighbors and play with the new kittens under the porch, and walk my paper route. Our towns also had organized recreation for summers that included outdoor sports and swimming. No transportation from Mom required--just walk down the street. There was work too--but nothing awful--pushing a mower, pulling weeds from the garden, and later as a teen-ager, working in the fields detasseling corn. Now that I look back I can see a lot of benefits to the time I spent outdoors, wandering free and making up my own games.

I heard an interesting interview on NPR Monday driving home from the lake with Richard Louv discussing his new book (May 2005) "Last child in the woods; saving our children from nature-deficit disorder." He said that children who have outdoor recess regardless of the weather have fewer colds and viruses than those kept indoors. There are adult studies on stress reduction and nature, but not on children. The author believes that exposure to the outdoors decreases ADHD, and that as recess has been shortened or eliminated, the problem has increased.

An art teacher called the program and said she sees a positive difference in the hyperactive children when they've been outside (her school had a regulated wetlands next to the school grounds where the children were allowed to go). Interacting with nature and spending time outdoors could be a lot cheaper than medicating and counseling children, if Mr. Louv is correct.

1 comment:

Valerie - Still Riding Forward said...

I have to say children have to be supervised now, too many bad people out there. Even in our rural area we have had kidnappings and rapes.

My background is similar to yours. I think it is quite possible that having more activity and chores to do left you with little extra energy to disrupt class. I believe that exposure to dirt and germs lets a child build it's resistance.

I know I feel better with even an hour spent in the gardens or mowing the lawn. Maybe vitamin D has something to do with it but I think you are more likely to be really tired if you just go play outside!