Friday, June 03, 2005

1095 The conundrum of time and gadgetry

An article in today's WSJ on the ever increasing complexity of gadgets and their accompanying inflation of costs in time and money for the user set me to thinking. What gadgets or inventions or improvements in technology have actually made my life easier, safer, simpler or faster since I married in 1960 (the year I declared myself an adult)? The author, Cameron Stracher, points out that there is no escape from life's hassles. If you speed it up one place, it just backs up and slows down somewhere else.

Here's my list of changes and improvements in the last 45 years that have actually saved time, wear and tear on my body, and improved the quality of my life. The corresponding list of said "improvements" that really haven't changed a thing in terms of quality or time saved is longer than the YES list, and grows every day.

In the YES column, the winners are:

Automatic garage door opener
Microwave kitchen appliance
Cordless phone
Central air conditioning
Warning lights in cars
automatic windshield washers and defrosters
automatic door locks in autos
Improved and longer wearing tires (safety, cost, etc.)
55 mph speed limit on interstates
portable, handheld hair dryers
velcro
permanent press and blended fabrics for clothing
TV remote with 2 buttons
card board file boxes with lids
one-use cameras
automatic defrost in refrigerators
flip top lids on cat food
advances in heart health--surgery and meds
improved picture tubes in TV (our newest set is about 15 years old)

In the NO column, the losers are
(OK, not exactly losers, but they haven't changed my life or health or given me more time to do other things)
computers
cell phones
VCR/DVD players
dishwasher
answering macines and voice mail
home security systems
automated grocery check-out
barcodes on merchandise and library books
TV remotes with 25 buttons
automated answering services in doctors' offices
"paperless office"
Digital camera
ATM
I-pod, mp3--any music conveyance beyond the cassette tape player
Any shopping gimmick invented after green stamps--coupons, sweepstakes, loyalty cards
Hanging screens in churches for reading text and hymns
Amplified sound in public spaces
ice makers
cable TV

Automobile improvements surprisingly topped my list, something I rarely think about. But between 1955 and 1965 I probably changed 5 or 6 flat tires. In recent years, I've had a few flats, but usually a slow leak with some warning, and have never been stranded on a highway thanks to improved tires and warning lights.

Your mileage may vary, but ask yourself how many time-saving devices really live up to their promises, or do you just spend more time reading manuals and replacing the hair you've pulled out?

No comments: