Monday, August 22, 2005

1394 Walt and Meredith survey the blogosphere

Walt Crawford at the September 2005 Cites & Insights: Crawford at Large and Meredith Farkas at Information wants to be free have both completed and put forward their surveys of the librarian blogosphere. Combined, they remind me of the photographs my husband and I take on vacation--his are all buildings, mine are mostly people. Meredith is doing a part II, so stay tuned. Together Walt and Meredith give us a good album of blogging.

One statistic in her survey that I found interesting is that 77.4% of the librarian bloggers who responded to her questionnaire are in the 24-40 age range. This reflects what I’ve found in blogs in general. Finding older, more experienced workers in any field who understand what blogging is or are interested in promoting their own ideas to a public they can’t see, is difficult. I’m gradually adding to my “over 50” links (now that I’ve found more ladies to link to).

But strangest of all was Walt’s conclusion that I may be the only politically opinionated (“right-wing” he called me) librarian in blogger land. I didn't see any corresponding “left-wing” librarians in his 19 page, single space newsletter (this was on a quick read through--the “find“ feature didn‘t work in this document). This is amusing, considering the entire library profession lumped together would create another blue state--well, at least a county. Call me just a good information sleuth, but even I can determine what lever Library Dust pulls and I would have never gone into public mourning if I were still employed.


Because I remember those days when I was a liberal humanist, I know why and how this designation happened. When you are a liberal or a Democrat, you see yourself as just “us.” When you are a liberal, the antonym of “liberal” isn’t “conservative,” but right-wing. Everyone to the right of you is wrong headed, a threat to your personal space and freedoms, and “them.”

When you are a liberal you can’t see the bias of the major news media outlets because they reflect your own views and opinions; you don’t notice there are no Republican voices on the faculty of your institution or among the speakers invited to the campus; you don’t even notice when 70% of the campus never says anything out of fear for their jobs; you don’t see that there are almost no conservative books on the new book shelves of your public library and just assume they must all be awful because surely librarians wouldn’t tolerate bias in book selection; you believe that money will solve all social problems; and arriving at a goal or target is never enough--you must gird the loins of your cause with more tax money.

I’m far more liberal, in the true sense of the word, than many of the Democrats I know. I believe the “least of these” have value, therefore I’m against killing babies in the womb because they have physical anomalies or it's not a good time in mommy's career. I believe poor and minority children need a good education to succeed in a complex society and shouldn’t be left behind just because their parents can’t provide it. I believe there should be art and music in the schools--libraries are less critical.

I believe that Jesus Christ suffered and died so that every single person can be welcomed into the kingdom of God, but also believe those for whom he died have the right to say "no thanks" if they so desire. I believe that men and women are equal but not the same--in some areas women are superior. I believe in ordaining women and letting their skills and abilities and your needs determine if they should be in your pulpit.

I believe in meritocracy in the work place and don’t support quotas and affirmative action--they are demeaning to all we fought for. I do not support the death penalty. I was a strong pacifist through the end of the Vietnam war when our “anti-war movement” condemned millions of Vietnamese to death by pressuring our government to run out on them. The most shameful page in our history. I think the United Nations is a waste of time and money since it wasn’t able to save Rwandans or the Sudanese and it stole and scammed food from the Iraqis. It would still be investigating the cause of the tsunami and forming study groups if the US hadn't taken the lead. These lives mattered too.

I believe Israel is the only democracy in the Middle-East, the government/country with which we have the most in common. Anti-Israel fervor is veiled anti-semitism, in my opinion, and just a new version of "let's blame the Jews for all our problems." I believe we should stop propping up third world monarchies and feudal kingdoms. I think the war in Iraq will look like child’s play compared to the one coming--with China.

I support strong environmental laws that benefit everyone, not just a few disappearing rat and bird species. In fact, I believe our earth is God-created, organized and run. Therefore we should take care of it. I am a 6 day creationist and think it’s a waste of time to try to squeeze “intelligent design” into our theology or public school classrooms. ID doesn’t say much of anything. But evolution often looks Unintelligent too, and children need to be exposed to more than one view as the liberals used to believe.

Many of the librarian blogs I link to are “liberal”--but only if they are well-written, logical and informative. Walt has actually supplied the names of some I’ve never seen. But I’ve never seen mine linked on liberal blogs (some of that is ageism, not politics). A liberal today has severe torticollis and can turn only one direction--left.

All of this has been said in any one of my 1400+ blog entries (counting my other blogs). But mostly, I don’t talk about politics, but my life now, and even my former life as a librarian. I post my paintings, poetry, family photos, and opinions on health, sports, friendships, parenting, crime, education, and anything that catches my attention. I'm a typical information junkie. But because I am a neo-con (former Democrat who now supports Bush), Walt has selected me as "right-wing" poster-librarian.

But I’ll continue reading Cites and Insights even though I know Walt is a liberal and not a librarian. He’s passive aggressive and uses more parenthetical phrases to obfuscate than any preacher I’ve ever heard (although, maybe, perhaps, it seems to me, could be, interesting that). He’s not just a mild mannered, interested by-stander, but Walt is the best there is at presenting the technology stuff in a way I can understand. So even if he can’t spot a left-wing blogger, he’s still an excellent read and I appreciate all the time and effort he puts into his publications.

No comments: