Wednesday, August 24, 2005

1403 Reminder about the offset

Welcome Jay Rosen readers About eleven have stopped over here to see what an old lady could possibly say. But while I have your attention, here's a public service announcement.

Let me add something that has nothing to do with freedom of the press or a "conversation" between the old media and the new media. I noticed Prof. Rosen is writing at an .edu site, so I'm thinking some of his readers may be from academe, from which I'm retired. He and his readers may have teacher or public employee pension plans. Here's a reminder to start up the "conversation" about private retirement accounts again:

I am faculty emeritus (Ohio State University). We already have President Bush's retirement plan at our house (at least as I understand it): we have a mix of Social Security, private 401k, SEP IRA, a teacher's annuity (403b), a teacher's pension and miscellaneous IRA accounts and savings our executor will have to figure out someday. Because a teacher's pension is considered a government plan, I am not eligible for Social Security--not mine from when I worked in the private sector and not the wife's portion of my husband's. This is called a government offset.

So, just in case you thought you'd "double dip," you won't. OK, as you were.

No comments: