Thursday, August 18, 2005

1373 Corn on the Cob tip

Susan and Jim were surprised two weeks ago to learn my husband hates corn on the cob, therefore I only serve it if we have company. Heating up water for one little ear seems, well, peculiar, for lack of a better word. She said if I dunk it in water while still in the husks then microwave it for 2 minutes, I'll have a wonderful treat. So I tried it, and thank you Susan, you are absolutely correct.

This morning I fixed an ear of corn for breakfast in the microwave. Hmmm. Scrumptious. I compared it to the corn flakes, which I bought for our house guests last week but no one opened. Here's the corn flakes:

degermed yellow corn meal, sugar, salt, malt extract, vitamins C, A, D and several Bs, and folic acid. With 1/2 cup skim milk it has 170 calories and about 25-30% of most of the major nutrients you need plus 270 mg sodium and a little protein. Not bad for processed food.

Then I looked up corn on the cob. I'm not sure I had white or yellow--seemed to be a mix, but there is a huge difference in Vitamin A. Yellow has much more. I guess it's true that the deeper the color the more dense the nutrients. I had 59 calories, + another 27 for the margarine; 1.8 g fiber, 146 IU Vit. A, 3 mlg Vit. C, 158 mlg potassium and 20 mg folate. Now I'll add some blueberries and get smarter. All this thinking is exhausting. Actually, I've just been looking for a reason to use this photo of Susan.


Susan and crew on the Scioto River

2 comments:

Norma said...

I'm just sure Mr. Cloud will ask why I'm in a husk.

Anvilcloud said...

Thanks for the suggestion. :) Actually, thanks for the microwave suggestion.