Tuesday, October 18, 2005

1628 On Memos and Surveys

This week I received a memo (RE: DEFINING THE CHOICE A Strategy for Going Outside and Reaching New Ground) from James Carville of Democracy Corps (I'm not sure why I'm on the mailing list) that suggested the Democrats recruit the supporters of Ross Perot, who they believe got Bill Clinton elected. I thought they sounded sort of dispirited and discouraged. Didn't see much of a program or plan, but maybe recruiting disgruntled libertarians is a plan?

In Carville's memo I saw the word "change" and "choice" but I never found any program or fresh ideas, other than universal health care, more money for education (hardly fresh ideas), and all was apparently to be funded by canceling tax cuts for incomes over $200,000. And it is the tax cuts that restored our economy after it started plunging in 2000. I saw nothing about saving social security or helping the poor. The twisted and biased wording used to describe various administration's programs in their questions would make even me say I was against it or looking for alternatives.

Considering the clarity with which Rush Limbaugh outlined conservative beliefs and values in yesterday's WSJ, I think the Democrats are going to have to find something a bit more focused than just bashing Bush, which this document definitely did.

Also, then I went to their webpage and looked at some of their polls. I read the poll taken last October right before the election. For the life of me, I can't figure out why they were so shocked they lost. The evidence in their own poll seemed clear in hindsight, although some numbers were terribly close. I had a little problem reading the figures, which seemed to be in percentages, although number of respondents was recorded (and it varied from question to question). The question on "feelings" struck me as really odd. Although the actual intention to vote may have put Kerry a little ahead of Bush, the "warm fuzzies" were in Bush's favor (question 11). And the NRA and pro-life questions favored (more warm) the Republicans. So when they stepped into the voting booth, did feelings win out over intention?

When it came to issues, in general only Bush was rated--Kerry's name was not there in "direction the country is headed." But on specifics, (Q. 37-49) I think Bush rated higher than Kerry--and way outpaced him in security and terrorism. This could have made a significant difference in the voting booth if there was a perceived gap between the poll and the results.

Also, I think this one (Q. 4) was interesting because it was so out of place--like it was intended to create doubt; but no one took the bait:

Q.4 Many people weren't able to vote in the 2000 election for President between George Bush, Al Gore, and Ralph Nader. How about you? Were you able to vote, or for some reason were you unable to vote?
Total
Voted ...........................................91
Not registered in 2000/Ineligible/too young.......2
Did not vote .....................................6
Can't remember/Don't know/Refused) ...............0
(ref:VOTE00)

According to their poll, no one had a problem voting in 2000. So, how accurate is their premise, "many people weren't able to vote in the 2000 election."

http://www.democracycorps.com/reports/surveys/dcor103104fq20public.pdf

No comments: